2017/05/24

Movie Review: Alien: Covenant


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this entry.  I am back, a day later than I wanted to be, to give you my thoughts on the new Alien Convent flick.  Lets start with the UGLY

THE UGLY

  • Some of the acting was just not good.  Billy Crudup and Demián Bichir are the two that stood out for me.  I thought both performances left a lot of things to be desired.  Crudup seemed to be phoning in his performance and I just didn't like Demian at all.  
THE BAD

    • The story is getting a little old at times.  The whole alien attacks and people freak out thing is getting slightly old.  While they do a good job of keeping the story more than just alien attacking, which is a good thing, I am starting to get tired of the basic concept.  Maybe it is because I watched them all recently, but it is slightly old
    • This came up in AVPR storyline a bit but the timeline/universe is kind of muddy remember what has happened, what hasn't happened and what didn't actually happen.  
    • It felt a little bit like a middle flick
    THE GOOD
    • I never thought I'd say this but the acting of Danny McBride was very well done.  While I usually find him overbearing he was amazing!
    • Katherine Waterston and Michael Fessbender were fantastic as well.  Michael was easy the star of the flick even if he wasn't suppose to.
    • While I know I mentioned the story as a bad, the actual storyline of the flick was fantastic and actually answered some questions I've had since the first flick.  So that was nice.  While it is a little convoluted the story structure was well done 
    Overall a very good film that I'd give a 7/10 which is what IMDB has right now.  It felt slightly drawn out at times and I'd like to see it cut maybe 10-15 minutes out but nothing that made me want to pull my hair out.  A good flick and probably worth paying the theater prices but not needed.  I don't think you would lose anything by waiting assuming you aren't a 13 inch TV.

    Until next time...ABYSSINIA!

    No comments: