2015/12/05

Black Mass: A movie review



I wanted to see this flick a while back and I finally get a chance.  I'm a big fan of mobster & gang stuff.  This flick stars Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch and Dakota Johnson.  "The true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf."  As of 12/4 over on IMDB it has a ranting of 7.2  The Whitey Bulger story is a great story.  So lets get to it!

  • Hey it is poor mans Matt Damon from Breaking Bad!
  • That is why I would never eat nuts at a bar!
  • Depp is such a weird choice for this role
  • Adam Scott plays a lot of different roles.  I am not a fan of his acting but he is versatile.  
  • And there is the otter...er....Cumberbatch
  • Yeah, I'm going to get tired of the otters voice/accent real quick
  • Well that kid might be one of the worst actors of all time!
  • This flick has some weird pacing
  • W. Earl Brown is a fantastic actor!
  • Kevin Bacon?  Wow
  • I still don't get the pacing of this flick
  • Depp looks completely different here.  
  • I wonder how much of this is "true".  I just don't see Jimmy Bulger telling people about his alliance and no one finding out
  • That is a nightmare for a parent, I can't imagine what that would do to an already unbalanced person.
  • How high would you have to be to go and turn in a mob boss?
  • Is Cumberbatch basically doing a bad JFK impersonation? 
  • Again I wonder if Whitey actually did some of these killings, seems "bad for business", especially in broad daylight with witnesses
  • Also I'm starting to wonder if John Connolly isn't/wasn't on the take
  • CALLED IT!
  • Seriously how great is W. Earl Brown!
  • IRA?  Really?
  • Bare hands?  How did they NOT catch this guy?  
  • David Harbour is pretty good in this flick.  I really enjoyed him in the Newsroom as well
  • This flick STILL has weird pacing.  I realize it covers a lot of time but its still odd
  • Seriously is he doing JFK?  Its horrible
  • Seriously how do people not hear things happening in movies?  Connolly and Morris are talking about this at the bar with the bartender feet away
I guess I'll start with my rating.  5/10.  Middle of the road film that was long and drawn out yet had shitty pacing.  

I'll start off with Depp and Cumberbatch.  Both were average at best.  I mentioned that Cumberbatch had a horrible accent (even if he sounds like the real Billy Bulger).  Depp, while had great facial expressions, seemed to be phoning it in.  On IMDB some of the real people praised his performance while others panned it.  I felt it was uninspired.  Connelly was okay but again felt uninspired.

The supporting cast made it better.  Great actors around those three.   All the smaller roles were great!  
I feel like it was too "hollywood" in the way conversations took place and some of the killings.  There is no way even in the early 80's that there was no evidence at that point!

Average at best and I can't really recommend it.  If you like Depp watch it.  If you want entertainment I'd move on to something else!

No comments: