2013/01/18

If you can't kill it with 30 bullets you're doing it wrong!

The biggest thing, politically speaking, right now is gun control.  A month ago or so I talked about gun control and what I thought we should do.  Tonight I am going talk about a more logical approach.

In case you haven't read my suggestions, the big thing was a thumb print reader so that only the owners could fire it.  That is too expensive obviously so lets talk about realistic ideas.

  • Assault rifle ban
    • This seems like an obvious one to me.  There is no reason to own an assault rifle as an everyday average citizen.  Well none that yours truly can think of.  
      • I do understand the argument of what the 2nd amendment was meant for.  So that we the people can fight the government if need be.  However that doesn't mean that I can have a grande launcher or a bunch of RPG's does it?  Can I weaponize plutonium and have a nuke?  The government has them so I better to stop them.  My point is a bunch of untrained, or even civilian trained "soldiers"are not going to stop the American Army.  Just my opinion boys and girls, I could be wrong.
  • A gun registry
    • Every gun created should go on this registry.
    • As they are taken from the factory to a store it is noted
    • As they are sold it is noted
    • If you buy a gun and sell it to someone else or gift it you take the person to a gun shop and transfer the ownership to the new person, like a car
    • All ballistics are put into a database as well
    • If a gun is stolen you best report it because you will be tried if your gun is used in a crime just like you would be if your car was
  • Magazine limits
    • A magazine for all civilians should be limited to 10 bullets.
      • I realize that anyone who works at it can change a clip very quickly but they need to change a clip.  
      • Think about it, you'd need to carry 3 times as many clips to have the same amount of bullets
  • Better mental health
    • As someone who has had mental health issues (and some would say I still have them) I am a firm believer in this
    • If it wasn't for free mental health screenings I wouldn't be here today
      • I have no problem if I was in some database because of my past issues
  • Better background checks
    • If we did the stuff above it would make these easier
    • Remove the gun show loophole
    • Extend the period so that a proper check can be done

These are just a few things, most of which the President has already outlined.  However we will most likely not get them?  Why you ask?

Because people don't want to have a logical unemotional conversation.  Instead you have people comparing the President with Hitler.  You have people going on the youtubes saying that they are prepared to kill people if they go after their guns.

It is sad that gun people, some gun people, don't want to bend in anyway shape or form.  It is always "They're coming after our guns".  I think the only people who said that were gun owners.  I don't think anyone even implied that and if they did they are as far on the fringes as the nut saying they are going to kill people and start a civil war.

We need to have an actual conversation and until that happens nothing is going to change

3 comments:

The Williams family said...

I appreciate that you share your opinions. It's a good thing and open conversations help bring understanding to situations. However, although the things you stated are popular moderate-democrat ideas and, while they are not as extreme as banning all guns, they simply don't work.
I like the phrase, "If you make owning guns criminal, only criminals will have guns."
Do you realize most mass shooting happen in no-gun zones? Your ideas would only work if mass shooters obeyed the laws! I know that theoretically more bans would make guns less accessible, but not for the determined criminal. Tanks and grenade launchers? Maybe not. I want a militia to be able to hold the government at bay, not one guy with a tank.
Don't you see the historical pattern? It’s called soft tyranny. Slowly take away the guns (and other freedoms) so that a resistance, when it occurs, will have to be full of criminals (owners of guns purchased on the back market) or so poorly equipped that it can be snuffed out quietly. If the government starts ordering usage of those high powered weapons you mentioned (rocket launchers, tanks) on their own citizens, the public would know and be outraged. Owning guns, especially semi-automatic assault rifles, ensures that the government cannot take out their citizens quietly. Please look up how many “assault” rifles are out there and how many people are illegally killed with them! It’s a staggeringly small number. Handguns are much worse and I assure you they are next to go! It’s illogical to assume they won’t take those as soon as they have vilified rifles. Registering guns only make the government aware of who can resist them; it does not lower crime rates. I live in fairly poor area and have dealt with some of the issues with guns here. In the last 4 years I have seen more than 5 (probably stolen) guns for sale on the street. If we accepted any of your plans they would empower criminals, empower government over law-abiding citizens, and would take freedom and power from law-abiding citizens. Keep the guns in the hands of the law-abiding population. Consider this my respectful disagreement. Thanks for putting your opinions out there and keep it up!

Although, I prefer more game reviews :-) freedom stuff heats me up.

The Williams family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Williams family said...

This is a little biased but it's fairly good information.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/08/fact-not-opinion-gun-control-doesnt-work/