2020/02/11

Classic Wrestling: 1994-01-15 WCW Saturday Night


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today I am checking out the January 15th 1994 edition of WCW Saturday Night.  I believe we will see Steve Austin against Brian Pillman tonight if I remember correctly.  Beyond that, we are still building Ric Flair and Vader in rematches so it should be a good show.  Enough of my "talking" and let us get to the show!

  • I do not know why but I love this "building" of a wrestler entrance for a wrestling show
  • Wait, Erik Watts is a rising star for over two years now?  
  • Jesse Ventura was still doing WCWSN at this point?
  • They are in the wrong corners!  It is weird
  • That was weird, Orndorff had no idea that Scorpio is going for a drop-down because of how high he jumped
  • Orndorff just used Austin's finisher, it was a weird time in WCW
  • I recently found out that Roma is the head trainer of a wrestling school.  Re-watching these matches makes me think he would be a hell of a trainer.  
  • I wonder if they sweetened the crowd noise because the fans are really into this tag match
  • Looked like Orndorff should have been knocked off the apron. 
  • The future Scotty Riggs in the enhancement role again.  It would be another year or so before he became an American Male
  • I always thought Ron was better as a heel.  I think it is that angry look he has
  • While it is easy to relate to Simmons story, growing up and whatnot, it is hard to relate to being such an amazing athlete.  Some people will resent that
  • Good grief Ron Simmons music was AWFUL!
  • Strangely I always enjoyed Ice Train.  I am actually surprised WWE never picked him up because of his size and charisma
  • Not the best sell job by the Train but I still like him!
  • The only bad thing about Rhodes at this point in his career was his hair, it was horrible!
  • How did WCW get away with using the Sheik name I wonder
  • Bob Cook is bigger than I remember, he is as big as Cactus
  • I wonder why and who thought Cactus and Maxx was a good team.  Probably their Similar brawling style
  • Mick was not quite the master on the mic yet at this point was he
  • It is too bad that Erik had the Watts name because he was not bad in the ring but never stood a chance with his dads name, kind of like David Flair
  • Here comes my favourite of all time!  Every wrestler should study this man to see the master do it.  How is he not in the Hall of Fame?
  • I do not know if it is Watts is a good performer or Regal could have a good match with anyone
  • I love that Watts is focused on the STF, makes perfect sense
  • I love the European Uppercut
  • It is the subtle things that Regal does, like trying to get his arms up when Watts was coming off the top
  • Its JBB vs. PIG....well the future PIG when he becomes a Godwinn
  • Both of these guys are underrated I think.  Dennis Knight got stuck with that naked Mideon gimmick and will always be remembered for that most likely
  • JBB needs himself a tag team partner
  • NO NOT THE MASK!  Shanghai is too ugly to show the face!
  • Austin's knee is hurt and that scumbag Pillman will not let him back up!
  • Why would Pillman yell out the move and then go to the floor?  
  • WHERE IS THE REF?!?!
  • Did the ref forget how to count to 10?  
  • What is up with the very unsmooth camera work?  
  • It is so weird and smart that Jesse constantly brings up other sports personalities 
  • This is actually a slower match than I would have thought but makes sense that Austin would want to slow things down
  • DEAR LORD DID YOU HEAR THAT CHOP!
  • Uggg, Johnny B. Badd's theme music is stuck in my head
Very good show.  I cannot really say anything bad about the show at all.  This is what WCW was good at, a very good solid show.  They did not have the HUGE star power that WWF had over the years but in the ring they were almost always better.  Good solid show worth checking out especially if you like Regal or Badd as both of them had great outtings. 

RESULTS
  • Marcus Bagwell/Too Cold Scorpio def. Paul Roma/Paul Orndorff  
  • Segment:  Brian Pillman
  • Ron Simmons def. Scott Studd
  • Interview:  Ron Simmons/Ice Train
  • WCW Control Center:  Sting & Ric Flair (WCW Champion)
  • Dustin Rhodes def. The Gambler
  • Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne def. Bob Cook/The Sheik via Submission
  • Interview:  Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne 
  • Steven Regal (TV Champion) def. Erik Watts for the Title
  • Johnny B. Badd def. Tex Slazenger
  • Interview:  Johnny B. Badd
  • Brian Pillman def. Steve Austin (US Champion) 

No comments: