2019/11/23

1991-01-05 Superstars Review


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this entry!  Today I am checking out the Jan. 5th edition of WWF Superstars from 1991.  Its a new year, the Gulf War is going on.  You have the Warrior as the Champion, Sgt. Slaughter is the top heel along with Randy Savage.  Mr. Perfect has just won back his IC gold and you have the Hart Foundation carrying the tag belts.  I believe your announcers are Vince McMahon, Roddy Piper and The Honky Tonk Man.  Lets go to the tape!!
  • Yes, I was right about the announcers!
  • Hogan making an appearance on Brother Love
  • Had Kerry been able to be clean he would have been one of the biggest stars both in wrestling and Hollywood I think.  
  • They never really did do that feud with Tornado and DiBiase I do not think.  I sure do not remember
  • I think this was the peak of Warrior.  He looked the best.  I think he was in the best shape.  Also his out of world interviews were almost understandable
  • Warlord doing his best Phantom of the Opera impersonation with that random mask
  • Too bad Honky did not get into the Royal Rumble.  Also liked him
  • Do you think he, the Warlord, understood how strong he really was?
  • That was the biggest gut-wrench suplex of all time!
  • I love the Royal Rumble theme, one of my favourites!
  • Duggan was always and will always be one of my favourites.  
  • WWF loved to make people make random noises for characters.  Tugboat, Duggan, Red Rooster
  • OH MY GOD LOOK HOW YOUNG DUSTIN IS!!!
  • They talk about the "Road Warrior" pop in wrestling, if I was a wrestler I would want the Hogan pop from 89-91
  • Half the people in the Royal Rumble hope they draw number 1 yet whoever gets it is always upset....strange
  • LOVE THAT RUMBLE THEME!
  • I love how Quake was always hopping around during his promos 
  • Do you think Jake Roberts drank a bottle of piss before each match?  
  • The Big Boss Man is also one of my favourites.  I love this time of wrestling I think because it was from my initial fandom.  
  • Do your job Virgil!  Who is, strangely enough, my grandpa's favourite wrestler
  • THE MULKYS!  Well one of them
I love these old shows for nostalgia purposes.  However, I also enjoy them because it was when wrestling was wrestling in my opinion.  Guys being shown as stars and you had to go to the shows to see them in action against other stars.  Once a month maybe you had a Rick Martel vs. Tito Santana.  It was about getting you to order the big four PPV and go to the house shows or rent their monthly VHS tapes like Supertape or Smack'em Whack'em.  It worked on me because I rented those SOB's over and over again!  I still love wrestling and watch as much as I can because as Roddy Piper put it once it is a sickness.  But these are the days I missed, up till like 1995 when Nitro and Raw became show as much as you can and go through everything quickly.  Oh well you can not put the genie back in the bottle now!

Results
  • Texas Tornado def. Tom Stone
  • Update:  Randy Savage/Ultimate Warrior (WWF Champion)
  • Warlord def. Donny Steel via Submission
  • Event Center:  Bret Hart (Tag Team Champion)/Paul Roma/Jimmy Snuka/Brother Love & Undertaker/Davey Boy Smith
  • Jim Duggan def. JT Smith
  • Event Center:  Tugboat/Barbarian & Bobby Heenan/Dusty Rhodes & Dustin Rhodes
  • Brother Love Show:  Hulk Hogan
  • Royal Rumble Report:  Smash/Earthquake/Jake Roberts/Big Boss Man/Ted DiBiase & Virgil
  • Kato/Tanaka def. Bill Mulky/Tony Mulky
  • Event Center:  Luke/Mr. Perfect (Intercontinental Champion) & Bobby Heenan/Dino Bravo/Rick Martel/Jim Neidhart (Tag Team Champion)/

No comments: