2017/06/12

Movie Review: Hairspray


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today I'm watching the 2007 version of Hairspray.  It stars John Travolta, Queen Latifah and Nikki Blonsky.  "Pleasantly plump teenager Tracy Turnblad teaches 1962 Baltimore a thing or two about integration after landing a spot on a local TV dance show."  Lets see what a whole movie about hairspray is about
  • I'd rather not look at your hair....it is bad
  • Nice to see Cyclops relax and let his hair down
  • Nine months?  That is a weirdly specific time frame....
  • Ugg Amanda Bynes makes weird faces
  • Why do they have Travolta as her mom?
  • If that is detention why wouldn't all the kids just go there?  Its much better than regular class
  • So dancing has always looked like people were having seizures, it isn't a new thing!
  • Cyclops was enjoying that dancing a little too much!
  • Good grief what did she do to her hair?
  • Mix?  Those Kids?  Good grief!
  • Really too much with the "fat mom" stuff
  • Does Walken do the voice now because it is expected of him?
  • This flick is LONG...or it seems that way at least
Over on IMDB as of 6/12 this flick has a rating of 6.7 and that sounds about right.  I'd give it a 7/10. You know that makes it average in my book.  

I am disappointed that this movie wasn't really much about hairspray at all.  Okay I'll get a little more serious (well probably not) about this flick.  I will say that the acting was well done.  No one came off as just horrible.  John Travolta came off a little over the top but I think that is part of the charm of the character.

I can't really talk about anything more about this flick as it is a musical.  I can't exactly try to insert logic into the flick can I?  I mean how does everyone know the words to the song or the dance moves?  Yes I'm making fun of musicals one of my favorite genre.  It does make me laugh everything I think about it and the South Park episode about High School Musical is exactly what I think.

Overall it was a fun flick if not slightly long.  Check it out if you you need something fun to watch.

1 comment:

MsWholigan said...

I saw this in the theater with my stepdaughter and haven't watched it since, and so was surprised to read that Cyclops was in it at all. Ha ha.
Travolta as Mother is a callback to the original show having a man play her, but WHY that's a tradition I really couldn't say! I recall trying to look it up, it bothered me so much. "Because it's always done that way" is such a lame excuse!
This genre of Musical is especially weird. They kind of defy some of the most basic standards of good writing, and there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it.