2017/06/11

Movie Review: Colossal


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across.  Today I'm checking out the flick Colossal.  It stars Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis and Austin Stowell.  "Gloria is an out-of-work party girl forced to leave her life in New York City, and move back home. When reports surface that a giant creature is destroying Seoul, she gradually comes to the realization that she is somehow connected to this phenomenon."  Warning, there are major spoilers in my thoughts.
  • I feel this girls pain, I had to move home briefly and it SUCKED...in that moving home felt like such a failure
  • This is what it is like talking to people from home town.  Another reason I never go home
  • What is in the pillow case she is carrying around?
  • That is a lot of beer
  • The music is weird in this flick so far
  • Still want to know what is in the pillow case!
  • Ah, an air mattress, I know those things very well
  • Good thing phones have endless power
  • No one called her till now?  I hope if a giant monster attacks a major city people call me about it and not wait!
  • That is one HUGE air mattress
  • These people are really calm considering a giant monster is attacking a nuclear power
  • Ah that is how she figured out she is connected to the monster
  • If a monster did what I did there would be a lot more footage of the monster wildly gesturing and flipping people off
  • Ah it is the playground, that explains 25 years ago
  • She looks like a crazy person
  • How did the air mattress deflate?
  • Wait she can feel the attacks?
  • He is really calm realizing she controls the monster/is the monster
  • So more people can create giant avatars of themselves?
  • Again they are extremely calm over all this
  • I wish I had left my home town and did something special
  • I'm confused, is it because she is drunk she is hitting on this young kid?
  • Her friend is going to be devastated 
  • Oh he figured it out already
  • DAMN!
  • Wow this movie took a very dark turn
  • Wow...her ex is an ass
  • Why wouldn't she leave?  Of course, because he'll destroy Seoul.  
  • Wait...she was struck by lightning?  That is why she scratches her head.  They were both struck by lightning?
  • Why are the sirens going?
  • I'm so confused right now, it is nowhere near 8:05
  • Shit, maybe I'm wrong
  • Does no one see them fighting in real life?
  • Is it wrong that stomping a major city sounds like a lot of fun...what does that say about me?
  • Is she going to commit suicide?
  • Yeah that was a satisfying ending to him
Well that was an interesting flick.  On IMDB as of 6/10 it has a rating of 6.3.  That is about what I'd say but I'll be kind and round it up to a 7.  It wasn't a bad flick by any stretch of the imagination.  It was average with an above average everything. It is a case of the sum being less than the parts for some reason.  I can't say why but I don't feel right about giving it more than a 7 even though I initially said it was an 8.  

Everything about the flick was at least good.  The story was interesting story that I don't remember ever being told before.  While I didn't like where the story went with the main characters (it wasn't how I would have wrote it).

The acting was average to above average.  Both Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis were fine in their parts and it was a different role then I'd see from Sudeikis in the past.  

The special effects were also pretty well done.  I was surprised to see it done as well as it was.  

Honestly, as I said, it should be rated higher I don't know what is stopping me but something is.  If you can find a copy of it you should check it out.  

No comments: