2016/07/02

Book Review: The Scattered and the Dead (Book 1)


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you've come across this set of ramblings!  Today I am going to review a book.  "The Scattered and the Dead (Book 1)" by Tim McBain and L.T.Vargus.  "With 99.7% of the Earth's population dead and gone, the few who remain struggle to survive in an empty world. The scattered. The leftovers. These are their stories."

This sounded interesting for sure!  With this description I felt like it would be like World War Z only not in a first person/interview style...and anyone who knows me knows how much I love the World War Z book! I looked on Goodreads and saw a lot of 5 star ratings so this was going to be a great read.

However I was disappointed.  I felt most of the stories were just there and I even got to the point where I was skimming certain characters because I disliked them so much...and not the characters I should dislike if that makes since.  

I found the character of "Baghead" interesting and the storyline of the two girls Erin and Izzy I liked. Beyond that didn't care about the other characters.

Spoilers below so you've been warned:

I really REALLY hated the Mitch character.  I skimmed/skipped most of his story.  He was such a whinny bitch that I wanted his kids to kill him just to shut him up!  And whoever wrote that section liked to write a lot of words to say very little.  The chapter of him in the shed went on for a whole book I think.  I had a birthday during that chapter it was so long!  I was like he was trying to be Stephen King without the talent.

Let me say that I can't do better.  I am a HORRIBLE writer of stories...and maybe of this blog I don't know...but I feel like I know good and bad writing and that was bad.

I don't remember the Rex character at all so I can't say anything about him....I feel like there was a character near the beginning that bit it early one for doing something stupid...oh wait I remember now.  Yeah not something stupid just kind of a pointless story I guess.  Okay it wasn't pointless it gave you a glimpse at what was going on in the world but very unmemorable.  

The others were just there as well.  That isn't to say it was a bad book exactly, just not 5 star worthy at all.  I give it a 2/5 on goodreads but honestly it't be a 2.5 if I could.  It was average, again...better than anything I could write, but nothing out of this world.  I have book 1.5 to check out next and I'll continue reading because I am interested in Erin, Izzy and Baghead.  

If you need something to read this isn't the worst thing out there but there are better choices as well. Until next time...Abyssinia

No comments: