2016/07/17

Movie Review: Ghostbusters

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you've stumbled on my ramblings.  I am back after a brief break.  This time I'm reviewing the newly released Ghostbusters.  It stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon.  "Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, paranormal enthusiasts Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates, nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann, and subway worker Patty Tolan band together to stop the otherworldly threat."

If you are my friend on Facebook you know that I've been critical of this flick.  Mostly because felt the need to talk about how it was four women this time.  I get tired of everything being about race and gender and sexual orientation...basically I get tired of labels.  However, that aside, I went into this flick with an open mind.  Since I watched in the theater and didn't have my PC I can't do my typical blow by blow thoughts but here is what I think....

THE GOOD

I found the flick well done for the most part.  The special effects were good to great with only one minor glitch I'll talk about later.  I found the acting to be good minus what I'll talk about below but on a whole the people did a good job.  

I've talked about my love for Melissa McCarthy and that continued here.  Melissa and Kate McKinnon stole the show easily.  Throw (I just typed Thor...no joke) Chris Hemsworth in there as well as he did a great job with what he was given.  I forget that he has pretty good comedic timing.

The cameos (minus one) were great and perfectly timed, Dan Aykroyd being perfect in my opinion.  I also liked most of the nods to the original series (a few will end up in the bad section momentarily).

Overall not the trainwreck I expected but not Ghostbusters 3 that I always wanted with the original cast.

THE BAD

Let me start by saying that when I criticize the acting I don't blame the actors 100%, it is just as much Paul Feig's fault as the director.

I don't watch SNL anymore so I am not familiar with Leslie Jones work.  I am sure she is good on SNL but she was too much in this film.  TOO MUCH!  Way to over the top when you already had the spot on over the top performance of McKinnon doing the eccentric scientist.  She had a few funny moments, mostly during the concert scene, but overall I felt it was too in your face New York Tyler Perry Madea type acting.

While not giving away too many things as this is a few flick, I didn't like the use of the proton packs. It was different and unique but I didn't like it.  Felt too much like Iron Man 2 (you'll understand when you see the flick).

The flick is a little long too, or if felt that way.  It drug a little bit at times and I think it is because several scenes seemed to be from the original flicks.  The scene in the haunted house early on is very close to the library in GB1.  Then the scene in the restaurant is close to the restaurant scene in GB2. You have the scene with the mayor talking to the team from the other flicks.  While they could be seen as homages I feel it reminded you too much that you weren't watching the originals, but that might just be me.

I did NOT like Bill Murray in this flick.  I just didn't.  Too much of him.  While the others got a scene he see him twice and he pays a character that moves the storyline.  I am sure my dislike of him is part of that but I think it would have been better for him to have a cameo like Dan and Ernie and the rest. I guess if you were going to give Murray a beefier role why not the mayor and have Dan as the sceptic and Ernie something else.  Or the three of them as mayor and his aids or something like that.  Again probably my dislike for Murray and the fact that he seems like an ass most of the time.

Speaking of cameos the fact that Rick Moranis didn't have one was sad.  I know he has retired following the death of his wife a while back but it was still sad.  To see everyone but him (and obviously Harold Ramis) felt sad to me just a bit.  It would have been wonderful for him to show up without anyone knowing, a great surprise to long time fans.

The final bit in the portal felt forced to me.  Was unneeded and felt out of place.  I almost feel like it was a note from the Studio.  "Make sure you put something heartfelt in the film.  It can't just be an entertaining movie after all".

The final bad guy was not done well CGI wise in my opinion.  Until then everything was but the last one, especially when he steps on a car, just seemed bad.

THE MIDDLE

This is how I feel about Kristen Wiig in this flick.  I don't find her all that talented or entertaining personally but people like her.  I felt her performance was in the middle for me.  I feel like she was just there.  I find her performances in everything that way.  She isn't bad but honestly I don't remember her either and that isn't what I look for in a star!

The storyline itself can go here as well.  Nothing groundbreaking and possibly a little blah.  The story of Wiigs and McCarthys past added nothing and only bogged it down a bit.

The use of Slimer can go here too.  I know he was a very beloved character so I expected to see him much like Stay Puff Marshmallow man.  Both of them seemed slightly shoehorned into me.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As I type this up on 6/17/16 on IMDB it has a 5/10.  I give it a 6/10.  It was slightly above average. Because of the CGI I would suggest seeing the flick on the big screen.

Nothing ground breaking like I mentioned above but not the trainwreck I thought it might be and had hoped for deep down.  I think they hurt themselves by branding this all about the cast and not about the story but that is just me.

Again 6/10.  If you like the stars of the film you should see it as they all do what they do very well (even Wiig...who I guess is just dull and unappealing in everything she does).

Until next time...Abyssinia!

No comments: