2015/06/24

The Hunger Games...the Book...a review

I guess I never wrote a review of the Hunger Games movie.  I know I talked about it a bit over on Facebook but lets just say I didn't like it.  A lot of my friends suggested I try the book and I did.

  • Overall I guess I should start with a rating.  Average at best.  I have to remember it is a young adult book so I'll say 2.5 out of 5.  In the middle.  I didn't hate it but I don't see myself going back and reading it again.
  • Let me say I can't stand Katniss.  Having seen the movie and since she was the star of the book (and this wasn't Stephen King) I knew she wasn't dying but there were so many times I hoped it would happen!
    • I found her constant whining annoying.  Perhaps it is because I'm an old man and don't remember being a teenage or because I was a teenage boy instead of a teenage girl but she was just so annoying.  I wanted the tracker jackers to killer and then the muttations and then Peeta! 
    • She seemed to flip flop a lot.  I mentioned on Facebook as I was finishing the book up that she had more bipolar than Pinkman on Breaking Bad and Lori on The Walking Dead put together!  
  • My biggest complaint about the movie and now the book is that I didn't really care about any of the other characters in the games.  I guess we are just suppose to care because these are teens or preteens being forced to kill each other but it isn't enough for me.  
    • Perhaps Rue's death was suppose to make me feel something but I didn't really because there just wasn't enough background or development for me to care.
  • I have to say I enjoy the concept for the book although it isn't original but then again in 2010 (or whenever it was released) it is hard to have an original idea
  • I enjoyed the Peeta character a little more mostly because I felt he was written a little closer to a regular person and who doesn't relate to the loving someone who doesn't know you exist theme
  • In my mind all of the Capital people were dressed like they were from "The Apple".  I wonder they had Bim time at the Capital.
  • That is how it ends?  Really?  I kind of want to know the rest of the story but I don't know if I want to read more (I won't be sitting through more of Jennifer's "acting").  It wasn't anything special but its sort of enjoyable and a quick read...
I'm sure I had other thoughts while reading this but I've forgot.  Overall if you haven't read it I can't suggest it.  I don't think you'll be disappointed if you remember its a young adult book.  I expected a little more I think personally but I usually go into things with to high expectations (looking at you Transformers movie series!)

Until next time...May the odds be ever in your favor...and goofy "future" fashion as well!!

No comments: