2015/06/28

Book Review: Catching Fire

Much like the first book I felt this book was okay.  I'd have given it a 2.5 if I could but you can't so 2 it is.

Overall this felt like a middle book.  I felt like it was a slightly better read but still missing something.  I don't know what it is, but something is missing from making really enjoy the books.

Once again I feel like everyone but Peeta and Effie is bipolar.  However I do feel that the author did a little better with character development here as some of the tributes were more fleshed out.  However I still don't have any kind of emotional attachment to any of the characters.  None what so ever.  I felt nothing about the ending revelations.  In fact I feel like there were several missed opportunities where it was taken in the obvious direction instead of a unique direction.

I realize this is a young adult book but I feel like so much of it written for the lowest common denominator.  I think it could have been one of the those books that made kids think about more adult concepts and what not but instead you have a teen girl who constantly flip flops on who she "loves".  That "hates" her mom.  Just typical stuff that you'd expect from a "teenager".  Perhaps it makes her more real but its also makes her annoying in my opinion.  As I said about the Hunger Games I don't like Katniss and actually wanted her to die in the games, now I have in two games.

I also don't feel like the character of the President is sinister enough.  We hear from him a few times in this book and we're suppose to fear him.  I fear Thread or whoever the peacekeeper in 12 was.  Also what is the deal with the smell of blood.  Does he actually drink it?  I assume/hope we'll find out in book three but I don't trust it.

Also the pregnancy angle was silly and added nothing to the story.  Now if they got helped because of it that would be one thing but they didn't seem to so why add it.  So we could have something else for Katniss to complain about I guess!

Again I did enjoy this more so hopefully Mockingjay will be better!

Until next time...May the odds ever be in your favor...what whatever they say!!

No comments: