2015/06/18

Jurassic World Review

Over the weekend I went and saw the movie Jurassic World.  This movie made over 500 millions dollars world wide opening weekend making it the biggest opening of all time!  That is huge for a movie that is the fourth in a series, especially after #2 and #3 weren't what you consider fan favorites.
Overall I really enjoyed this flick.  It was just an enjoyable action film that didn't take itself too seriously but wasn't a joke SyFy flick either.  Its been several days since I watched it but thinking back where are some thoughts I had on it:

  • The acting we well done even by the younglings.  I didn't want to kill the kid in the film like I do most movies
  • I was disappointed that Judy Greer didn't have a big part.  I think she is an underrated actress
  • Chris Pratt once again showed that he has a great career ahead of him.  He has gone from Parks and Recreation, a show I can't stand (I blame Amy Poehler and Adam Scott), to a great action comedy star.  He has great timing for the one liners that some actors just don't have (I'm looking your way Shia!)
  • While it was weird not to see any of the main stars from the first three I didn't really miss them.  It would have been nice tor them to be mentioned at some point.  
  • It is sad that Tim Curry isn't able to act as I felt the new park owner was a poor mans Curry
  • The dinosaurs are as amazing now as they were twenty some years ago
  • The new dinosaur created for the movie, Indominus‍ Rex, is pretty cool looking.  A little goofy looking with the arms but cool looking
  • Did I mention how cool the dinosaurs in general look?
  • I thought Bryce Dallas Howard did a good job in the film.  I haven't really cared for her in anything else I've seen her in but this she was perfect in.
It can't be all beer and skittles though.  There are a few issues (minor) here but they will spoil things possibly so if you haven't seen the flick don't keep reading.  You've been warned!
  • There is a brief story line involving the young kids and their parents that seemed forced and had no real resolution.  It wouldn't have shaved time or anything but it seemed like things were cut so the storyline should have been cut.
  • Vincent D'Onofrio was an odd choice for his character.  While he did an okay job I think that might be been the wrong person to cast.  Perhaps it is because I can't help but see and hear his Law and Order character in everything he does.
It has taken me two days to write this as I've been doing it between things at work.  The one cool thing I ran into while doing this is that some people want to believe that Owen is the kid from the first film.  You know the one that gets the raptor speech.  "The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So you know... try to show a little respect."  It is a fun theory, but without basis that I can see other than he seems to have a "bond" with the raptors.  

Overall this was a great popcorn movie.  I am surprised by the 7.6 rating on IMDB as of 9:30 on 6/18.  I personally gave it a 9 which might be a little high but I think 7.6 is a little low.  I expected a higher 8.5 or so overall.  Even more surprised that Rotten Tomatoes only has it as 70% fresh. I guess I liked it more then the average person which is rare.

Perhaps it is just the nostalgic factor, who knows, but I really enjoyed the film and would easily see it a second time in theaters.  

There you go, just some random thoughts on Jurassic World!

"Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and um, screaming"

No comments: