2010/08/13


I just finished reading "The New Dead" a zombie anthology. It has a series of zombie short stories in it from authors like Max Brooks, Tad Williams and others. Overall I would say it was interesting. It wasn't like World War Z or the Day by Day Armageddon books. Most of the zombie stories actually weren't zombies. Hell one had nothing to do with the undead actually. I'm still confused about that one.

I bought the book because it had a new World War Z universe story. I was actually disappointed with the story quite a bit. It wasn't written like WWZ and didn't have the same feel. Maybe it is true you can't go home again or revisit the past. Perhaps Max had lightning in a bottle when he did WWZ and he forgot to keep any for a sequel.

The anthology starts off slow but slowly picks up the pace. Most of the stories are new twists on the zombie idea. Some I liked others I didn't and there was only one that I thought was crap and I actually ended up skipping. It was mostly due to the strange writing style. Similar to the writing in the Road which is why I didn't like that either.

If you enjoy zombie stories, which I do, you should read this. I enjoyed Family Business, The Zombie who Fell from the Sky, My Dolly, Second Wind, Among Us (which I really liked the ending of the story), Ghost Trap, The Storm Door and Twittering from the Circus of the Dead. If you are a fan of WWZ you should read Closure as well. If you aren't don't let it taint you to one of my favorite books WWZ.

I hadn't read an anthology in a while, the last being one of Stephen King's collections of short stories. I don't usually don't like short stories because I like connection you get with a full novels characters. That is why I liked Family Business, the author of Patient Zero, and The Storm Door. They were written so that you connect with the characters quickly. Twittering is the same way but in a different way. It is done as a collection of tweets which is different but worked really well.

Again if you like zombies pick this up. I'll attach the link to BN.com (shameless plug) or even better go to your local BN or other book store and pick it up. Up next I think will be the squeal to Patient Zero " The Dragon Factory."

No comments: