2010/08/20

Doctor Who

I just finished watching the 5th series of Doctor Who, the first starring Matt Smith. I've got to say...I am not happy. Nope, not happy at all. Matt Smith is playing the 11th Doctor and Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan) plays the new companion. You also have Rory (played Arthur Darvill) and the returning River Song from the end of season 4. I really didn't like any of them.

Matt plays a strange version of the 10th doctor in my opinion. The rambling is the biggest thing. He is actually quite annoying most of the time.

Amy Pond is cute but again seems to be a weird mixed of the last companions. I feel like the mixed Rose and Donna together and out popped Pond.

Rory...well I kind of like Rory. But again he is just a weird version of Mickey. I much cooler version, but still I had a weird, been here done that feeling with the Rory/Doctor/Amy triangle.

Then you have River. I...um...I don't know what to think about River. She is an interesting plot device. As she's made more appearances I've become more interested in her. I am looking forward to the continued storyline.

The other big thing about this season was the departure of Russell T. Davies as the head writer and Steven Moffat taking that over. Now let me be clear I don't know either man's body of work other than Doctor Who. It didn't take much for me to get into the show with Davies or when they went from the 9th to the 10th Doctor.

With the 11th Doctor I just didn't feel it. The stories were missing something. The writing just wasn't at the same level. Maybe it is because Moffat was new. Maybe because Smith isn't at the same level of Eccleston or Tennant. I don't want it to sound like I am completely destroying the show. It was still entertaining. The weeping angels returned which was cool.

Overall I'm disappointed with the season and with #11. Hopefully next seasons picks up where the End of Time left off...although the absence of the Ood was a good thing...they are really creepy. Oh but the lack of Capt. Jack was NOT cool.

No comments: