2010/06/29

Wrestling

The few people who *MIGHT* read this know that I am a wrestling fan. I have been for years and years (20+). Since 2007, and that is when everyone knew about wrestling because of Chris Benoit, wrestling has pretty much sucked. Vince McMahon and WWE have gone PG. What does that mean? That means just what it sounds. Its like watching a PG movie. However wrestling shouldn't be PG. Its like watching Predator or Die Hard on broadcast TV. All the violence, swearing and fun are gone and you have this crap that leaves you thinking...something is missing.

Now I am not saying I want to see everyone bleed every match. I am not saying I want to hear every word possible. However I want to be entertained. I haven't been entertained for years now. Hell I don't remember the last show I watched all the way through, probably Wrestlemania and this is from a man who used to NOT be able to work on Monday's because that is when Raw and Nitro were on. I didn't miss a Raw for 4+ years and only started missing them because when I want to school they didn't have the USA Network. I own over 500 video tapes of JUST wrestling. I have terabytes of just wrestling. Its a sickness and I mean that in the best possible way.

Roddy Piper was the first to call it a sickness and its true. I want to stop watching. Its so bad I don't want to watch but I can't. You know what it is, I'm in an abusive relationship. Vince McMahon and I are in this relationship. I keep saying I'm done and won't let him abuse me and he keeps telling me things will be better. And I believe him.

He keeps giving me glimpses of greatness. Glimpses of the man who helped make Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock. But then I have to see the Great Khali and have to see John Cena try to be the Rock and I'm reminded of the past.

Many wrestling fans look at the "Attitude Era" and the golden age. For those of you who aren't wrestling fans that was the time from 1997 to say 2000. When everywhere you looked you saw the black "Austin 3:16" shirt. You had NFL plays giving the nWo hand signal and doing the Diamond Cutter sign. It was when being a wrestling fan was cool.

I haven't been nor ever will be ashamed of being a wrestling fan. Do I broadcast it, no. Will I deny it, nope. Hell for a brief period of time in my life I thought about training under Dan Severn and being a weekend warrior as it were.

I love wrestling and it pains me to see the business like this. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the entertainment that I love has passed me by. Maybe I'm too old and I'm better off watching my tapes and remembering it all when I enjoyed it.

Take yesterday's Raw. The best part of the show was when the legends were in the ring. How great would a guy like Arn Anderson be now that promo's are the most important thing? Hearing Arn talk for two minutes made me realize just how bad Cena's opening segment was.

I wish I could say something good about what is happening in either WWE or TNA but I really can't. My spirit was broken when a guy, Daniel Bryant, was fired for doing what he was suppose to do, a violent angle. When he was released after what was one, if not the best angle, in recent memory. I know most people think its just a matter of time before he is back does it matter?

Again maybe I'm old and should stick to my Arn Anderson tapes. What does it say when I would rather watch Doink the Clown vs. Mr. Perfect or Marty Jannetty than anyone currently. The few bright spots, Daniel Bryant or Samoa Joe or William Regal (still a hell of a wrestler if given the chance), are fired or put in stupid gimmicks.

While I know this won't ever reach anyone who matters but I'm begging, hell I'll get on my knees and beg if need be, give me a reason to care. Give me a reason to care about Kaz. Make me care about the Uso's or the Hart Dynasty. Make me want to chant for Mr. Anderson. Until then maybe I've found a cure for the Sickness that Roddy Piper talked about...the current wrestling product.

1 comment:

the Rick said...

I'm with you 100%.
The Daniel Bryan thing felt like a kick in the taint. For the first time, I was really INTERESTED in an angle. I was looking forward to the next RAW. Now, forget about it! TNA lost me when they killed Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels. At least there's NXT (which I enjoy enough to actually watch) and I hear Superstars is good, but the two WWE flagship shows? Unwatchable.

I remember the last time WWE was PG.Though I have a fondness for Duke the Dumpster Drossi, it was not exactly a high-water mark. At least here was an alternative (or multiple alternatives if you count the not-yet-dead regional promotions), which is sorely missing. I still think you need to get over you Announcing bias and go with RHO. I also hear that Chikara is good.

Also, my security word is: bedlytot. That is AWESOME!!!