2008/12/11

Even the Whales are at War

I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts! - Eric Cartman


I hate hippies. I mean I really fucking hate hippies. There is a show on Animal Planet called "Whale Wars". The idea of the show is that it follows a group of people who feel its their job to stop the Japanese from do "research" on whales.

I put research in quotes because some say that the Japanese aren't doing research but really just doing whaling under the guise of research. See the law says that no part of the whale can be wasted so they do their "research" and then sell the rest for upwards of a million dollars.

Now I am not saying that this is a good thing....or a bad thing. I haven't really decided however I will say that using terrorist like tactics to stop something, good or bad, is wrong.

Some of the tactics that the Sea Shepard's, thats the groups name, used include:

throwing of stink bombs that make the ship nearly inhabitable

boarding of the other ships in hopes that they will arrest them so they can accuse the Japanese of kidnapping

ramming the other ships

planning to cut the communications wires of the other ship

using ropes and other things to tangle the props of the Japanese fleet

What amazes me is the fact that these people don't see the problem with this. They look at this as ok because they are saving whales. They even make sure that these people are willing to DIE to save whales. Thats right, they put the whales lives over the lives of humans. It makes me sick it really does. Putting the lives of an animal over people.

However this show is entertaining in a certain way. What these people are doing are great entertainment wise. Within the first show they have a ship accident. So there is an entertainment aspect but honestly the show makes me sick. These people are the type who sit in their ivory tower.

While I enjoy the show it really shows that people allow their good ideas to go to the extremes. Personally I believe that everyone on that ship should be charged with Piracy. What the Japanese are doing is legally correct and unfortunately that is all that matters. The laws don't care if things are right or wrong morally.

Overall an entertaining show but honestly it just shows that perhaps it is time for humans to no longer be the dominate species.

Until Next time....Abyssinia!!

2 comments:

Randall Case said...

I'm surprised you feel that way Geno. Whether you believe in their cause or their methods, you have to acknowledge that they aren't living in an ivory tower...they are actually trying to do something. Even if it is misguided, they are at least standing up and taking action, unlike most of us that just sit back and have opinions.

-Djudje

MsWholigan said...

I feel they aren't justified in going all Dirty Harry or Charles Bronson after these people. Vigilante justice and all that.
Plus I'm always skeptical of reality tv and whether or not that pollutes the perceived purity of their cause.

I like Hippies in moderation. All that peace and tree-hugging hasn't necessarily made all the world a horrible place.
But misguided is the right word at times.

Having said these things, I always avoided this show because I hate reality tv. HATE IT!