2018/08/16

Movie Review: Extinction


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today, 7/29/18, I am checking out the Netflix flick Extinction.  "A father has a recurring dream of losing his family. His nightmare turns into reality when the planet is invaded by a force bent on destruction. Fighting for their lives, he comes to realize an unknown strength to keep them safe from harm."  It stars Lizzy Caplan, Michael Peña and Mike Colter.  Let see if it is another good pick up for Netflix or a miss.  It does have a 5.9 out 10 with 5,237 votes

  • Oh Michael Pena, you have become such a good actor since The Shield!
  • Wait weird person in the elevator was his daughter?  I am confused
  • Oh shit is that Luke Cage?  There is no way a force bent on destruction is doomed!
  • Lizzy is look very odd, I haven't really seen her in anything since Cloverfield though.
  • Did he fall asleep in the store room?
  • This flick has weird pacing/scenes are hard to follow
  • She is a supportive wife
  • That is why I never talked to people in the waiting room or did groups
  • Who has not had the dream of an alien invasion at some point
  • Her tunnel project should come in handy!
  • What kind of weird kids play in elevators?
  • Alright the pacing is picking up and no more weird unknown dream/real life scenes
  • How does Pena do so many projects?
  • Seriously who has not had alien invasion dreams...that is normal right?
  • I was just going to ask why the aliens did not just shoot through the door...oh shit did they just shoot Lucy?
  • They should NOT have fixed Herman!
  • Bloody hand flash back?
  • Is that a ship or a mech?  I think a ship
  • Pena has a point, staying or going through the building is death...of course the window washer thingy might be death too.....
  • Are they robots?  
  • Biometric triggers, we need that shit!
  • No you cannot make it a few blocks at this rate
  • Its like a video game, avoid the lights!
  • Good thing he is an electrical engineer!
  • They make the Predator noise
  • His dreams have not been real helpful
  • They are humans?
  • What the fuck...wait...are they the aliens?
  • Wait...so we have been following the aliens/robots the entire time?
  • So this has been a fucking AI rises up flick the entire time?  A damn Skynet flick?
  • It was not dreams it was flash backs to the uprising
  • Well this took a moralistic turn
  • The sad thing is this is exactly how humanity would respond
Well this ended up taking a turn that I was not expecting and honestly it ruined it for me.  Bringing up this horrible moralistic question into what was suppose to be an end of the world flick ruined it for me completely.  I watch flicks like this for escapism not to be reminded that we, as humanity, are horrible and will probably end up bringing our own doom due to our own hatred and fear.

Now onto the flick itself, it is very VERY good.  I think the rating is way down.  9/10 if you ask me!  The acting and the action and everything is fantastic.  I cannot really complain about anything other then it took that turn that I mentioned above.  

You have to realize that when I watch movies/TV I watch for escapism not to be feel/think most of the time.  Occasionally I watch those films but I realize I am watching one of those.  This time it was a trick.  They tricked me and that makes me angry.  

The morale of the flick to find common ground is one that we all need to find but I did not watch a sci-fi flick for that.  I want to be angry at the flick but I am not as it was too well done for me to be mad!

If you have Netflix check this out!

No comments: