2012/10/31

Sportsmanship is overrated

Last night the NBA season started.  What?  You didn't know or care?  Me neither to be completely honest but something happened that I wanted to talk about.  Ray Allen left the beloved Boston Celtics during the off season and went to the hated Miami Heat.  Allen is an older player and wants a title or another title, I don't know if he has won one and I don't care enough to look it up, that isn't the point of this.  Yes there is a point!

The two teams played in their season opener last night.  At some point during the game, I believe before, Allen went over to shake the hands of his former team and Garnett didn't shake his hand.

OH MY FLIPPING LORD!  WHAT A BABY!  HORRIBLE SPORTSMANSHIP!  HE SHOULD BE HUNG!  HE SHOULD BE SHOT!  HE SHOULD BE HUNG AND SHOT!

Yes I am being sarcastic.  He did what I would do.  He did what as a fan I want him to do.  When you are playing a PROFESSIONAL sport you are going out to war.  Those 9 other men or 11 or 5 or however many people are on the rink in hockey, they are the enemy.  They are out to destroy you and your teammates.  Why shake their hands?

But what about the kids Gene.  WHO WILL THINK ABOUT THE KIDS!  Not me that is for sure.  Okay seriously they aren't kids.  Even as a kid I never understood the hand shaking thing.  I'm not saying to go punch them in the face but win or lose I don't want to shake the enemies hand.

This was talked about on Mike and Mike and everyone was against Garnett but Greeny.  He agreed with my thoughts and brought up that 15 minutes after a game you can't tell who won or lost in an NBA locker room and that is why I don't follow most sports.  When you've got 100+ games who cares about one or even 10 games.  That is why I love the NFL, one game can make or break you.

Now I am not saying that I want dirty play but this whole being nice after a team kicks my ass is stupid.  The only thing I want is another chance to play them and not lose.  So I say this pre and post game sportsmanship is OVERRATED!

No comments: