2011/02/15

Review of "Countdown to Lockdown" by Mick Foley

Mick's latest book was an interesting one. First let me say a few things for people who don't know me very well. I've been a fan of Mick's since he debuted for the WWF back in 1996 when he debuted as Mankind. At that point my "sickness" as Roddy Piper called it might have almost been at its worst or pretty damn close. I didn't miss a wrestling show and Mankind quickly became one of my favorite characters. However as I learned more about Mick Foley the more I realized he was a good person. Mick's first book was something for years and years I was rarely found without. I am ashamed to admit I haven't read either of novels. I was even lucky enough to have meet Mick briefly even though I was so nervous I didn't really say much but I do have a picture of myself with the Hardcore Legend and I got his autograph. I am saying this so that you can get the impact of what I'm saying. This book would have been better without the underlying story of his Lockdown match with Sting.

His last book, Hardcore Diaries, was set up the same way. In this book the story is Mick getting ready for his match with Sting in a steel cage match. Mick will then tell other stories or write about other things in between chapters.

There are two chapters in particular that I enjoyed. One talking about the Chris Benoit tragedy and the other being a chapter on steroids. Mick is a great writer in that he writes as a person would talk.

I am in no way trying to compare myself with Mick but I think my blogs are written in a similar style, more a stream of consciousness. It comes off as real and it is one of the reason I enjoy his fantastic books.

Another thing that I liked was reading about all of Mick's charitable acts. It is great to hear that he has taken his stardom and done such good things with it. His building of schools and donating his advance to RAINN.

Overall the story of his match with Sting, while slightly interesting, just didn't keep me as interesting as the Hardcore Diaries did. One interesting thing is that Mick doesn't shy away from his own doubts like some stars would.

While I didn't enjoy this as much as Mick's other books it was still good and had its moments. I really enjoyed the line about the Motor City Machine Gunns, his wife and a double team....I'll let you read it to find out what the story was, I actually was laughing out loud at that one.

Mick is a person I respect as a performer and a man. If you're a fan of Mick's you'll enjoy the book. If you want some good stories and some insight into the business and the mind of a true legend.

I would give the book a 3 out of 5. While not his best work still enjoyable.

Next up...I don't know. I have a few zombie books to read. Tomorrow, I believe, Chris Jericho's second book comes out so I've gotta read his first book. I've also got the Jim Butcher series, Doctor Who, The Dexter Series, The Left Behind Series, The Hunger Games series, and many others. Who knows what is next. Until next time, Abyssinia!

No comments: