2011/01/02

Scott Pilgrim review

I finally got a chance to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World this evening. First off let me say that I didn't love it. Nope. It wasn't horrible but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. Honestly I would have shut it off within the first half if I had something else to do. I am glad I didn't as it did pick up.

I won't go into the story much as it is basically Michael Cera playing the same character he does in every movie (type casting much?) having to defeat the 7 evil ex's of his new girlfriend.

Honestly at first it was extremely annoying and as I said I really wanted to shut it off. The acting was annoying as shit and I wanted to kill myself. The only person in this movie that didn't annoy me was Kieran Culkin who I thought was great throughout the film.

After the first half hour I found myself enjoying it more. The movie picked up speed at this point. One weird thing was all the 'cameos' in the flick as most of Ramona's ex's were famous people. I don't know if you can call them cameos or not but it was still strange although I once again liked Brandon Routh who has been really good in everything he has done but Superman...boy was that an awful movie...anyway.

Overall I would recommend the movie but don't pay attention to the first 4th or so. Also I would have liked to see someone besides Cera play the main character. I honestly think an unknown would have been the way to go. Cera was distracting throughout and personally made the movie slightly less enjoyable. Not as much as Death Race 2's main actor but slightly.

Overall I would say 2.75 losing .25 for Cera and his usual lack of acting ability. Sorry but its true Michael, you aren't much of an actor in my opinion. Maybe I shouldn't blame Michael as I have enjoyed some of his films but look at this movie and his character in Juno. Pretty similar. But then again it isn't his fault that he is the same character as he didn't write them but still not a fan of his in this flick.

Not a movie I would watch a second time but worth checking out. Oh and it would be wrong not to mention the fact that all the young ladies in this film are very attractive. Just saying!

No comments: