2011/01/13

Censorship

[Note: I started this about 10 days ago]

About 10 years ago I used to rant and rave about censorship due to a certain organization called The Parent TV Council. For those of you who do not remember this horrible thing they basically went after any TV show they didn't feel was appropriate. They targeted shows like WWF programming, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, CSI and things like that. Now obviously the attack on the WWF is what drew my attention to it and it drove me insane! I have the right to do watch what I want and if someone else doesn't want to watch a show they have this amazing new device called a remote control. Or if you are still suck in the 50's, like the PTC, they have a nob on the set below the rabbit ears.

However things have gone from bad to worse recently. Oh before that let me talk briefly about cleanflixs or whatever that is called. If you are unaware of this it is a company that would 'clean' movies up. Taking out any violence, language, sex, or fun out of movie so it was family friendly. This was mostly in Utah, I believe, but I do know there was atleast one in Michigan down in Niles as well. This is wrong. If that is how the film makers wanted their film that is how they would have made it. Sometimes language or violence, and less often sex, are important parts of a film and the meaning or impact of a scene or entire film would be changed without it. It is just wrong.

As I say things have gone from bad to worse. Recently it was announced that a new version of Huck Finn was being released without a certain name for Jim. I WON'T use the word here. Part of me wants to....

Okay this is a different topic altogether. The word in question is a horrible word however it is used all the time. Rappers use it all the time. Friends use it to address each other. Take this story here. One man is fired for using the word in question when several others were not. It SHOULD NOT make a difference if the person is black, white, yellow, brown, purple or anything else. Yes I understand context before you say. However in a staff meeting talking ABOUT the word I would think that the word needs to used. It reminds me of Clerks 2 and the porch monkey thing....which is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. However in a professional environment if you fire one person for using it the others should be as well, in my opinion. I don't walk around saying honky to Paul at work because it is 'offensive' (well not to me but you get my idea). Its like saying it is okay for a fat person to call someone else fat...well I say that is okay all the time....hmmmm....but then again fat is not a 'bad' word. So there is no good example for this but I support the gentleman who was fired. What is good for the goose is good for the gander as the saying goes.

Anyway back to my original point of changing things and censorship. Huck Finn, which I HATED by the way, shouldn't be changed for any reason. It is a work of art and that shouldn't be changed. I don't see someone putting pants on the Statue of David (now that I said that someone will). If I am personally offended by say the use of religious overtones in the Narnia series are we going to see an edited version of that for atheist?

Unless the artist themselves decides to change whatever it is it should stay the way it is. If Stephen King decides that a clown is too scary and makes it a puppy instead that is okay but it isn't okay for people in twenty years to do it because clowns have all become psycho killers or they have become saints.

Let me just sum this up. Censorship is wrong. Extremely wrong. I have nothing else to say about this topic. To those who want to censor people...piss off!

No comments: