2011/01/05

Apocalypse of the Dead review


I recently finished my latest zombie book, Apocalypse of the Dead by Joe McKinney. Let me start off by saying this is sort of a sequel to Dead City. It is in the same world after Dead City but you wouldn't have to read Dead City to understand or get this one. In fact this book is much MUCH better.

Overall I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5. At first I did not like it. Then I did. Then I loved it. Then I shook my head at it. Overall the book follows four groups through zombie breakout. One group from within the dead zone (not the phrase they use in the book but I can't remember the one they use). Another from Florida. One from LA and one from the Big Easy I believe.

I almost think that Joe couldn't decide what kind of book he wanted to read as it goes through several different writing styles throughout.

It has several twists and turns that one would not expect and several you can see coming a mile away.

The writing style is simple yet affective. I found this decent story telling till the end where things made little sense to me. It was similar to a movie that has a decent first act, the second act is AMAZING, and then the ending has you thinking...wait...that's it?

The story itself is, as I said, following four groups throughout the outbreak. As you can expect slowly the four groups meet up and worlds collide. Along the way each group has it's own problems that include being stuck in the dead zone, having a group of bikers after them, being old with kids and a prisoner and being part of a religious group. Oh and throw in a young man who has a special power and you've got an interesting group of characters.

I enjoyed things till the ending where several characters disappeared completely. Several subplots also seemed to disappear. I wonder if they hurried the process to have it come out during the Halloween holiday.

Those problems aside it was a much better book than Dead City. I would say if you enjoy zombies its a good book but not anything to put at the top of the pile. Since I no longer feel obligated to being a company shill here is the ISBN. 9780786023592.

Up next I am going to read Mick Foley's latest book Countdown to Lockdown.

No comments: