2010/11/24

Walking Dead Episode 4 (spoilers included)

I know I said my next blog was going to be /rantmode on but the last five minutes of my life changed that....good grief was that the best 5 minutes of TV ever? I talked a little bit about the Walking Dead in the past here I believe but the last 5 minutes of Sunday's episode was amazing! Intense, filmed perfectly, emotional and awesome. I seriously didn't see it coming.



SPOILERS ahead so don't read ahead if you don't want to know because I want to say what was going through my mind as things happened.

When the first walker went up to the tent I thought it was going to be Merle. When he opened the tent flap and it was the walker I was like...shit! Then the one walks around the corner and grabs the girl after she pissed (note to self, in the zombie apocalypse either piss right at the fire or go in pairs) and I was like double shit. At that point I thought the whole camp was going to get taken out. The scene of the dude who was digging earlier walking after they killed the group was great. Glenn freaking out because he's Glenn. The chaos strangely reminded me of the scene in Platton, the last war scene, when the VC are attacking at night and they are everywhere. It had a great war feeling to it. Because of Faceoff I always think of weird music to scenes. For the record the Somewhere over the Rainbow song playing while they have that massive gun battle in Faceoff was brilliant. I actually thought of the Hymn Abide with Me while this was happening.

In the Doctor Who episode "Gridlock" they have an awesome version of Abide with Me and since I heard it, and listened to it over and over and over again because it is hauntingly beautiful, I could see that playing over this scene. With the young sister dying and the older sister just crying and holding her. The chaos against the beauty of the hymn in my mind would be perfect but I am sure in execution it wouldn't have worked but if/when I make a movie it will happen.

Actually I see it a little different. I would use it in a scene where most of the main cast dies delivering or saving whatever they are after. Like a war movie where everyone is dying but fighting anywhere which is why it popped in my head here. Everyone was fighting yet dying and it is kind of a send off for those who are dying.

Anyway back to the final scene. It had everything a final scene should have in a TV show. I don't know who the writers/director/film crew was/is on this show but they may be some of the best damn people working in TV right now. Easily the best thing on TV now and that is including great shows like Chuck and Dexter.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Thar episode of TWD was written by Robert Kirkman, the creator/writer of TWD comic. I would HIGHLY recommend picking up the series along with his other book "Invincible". Also, outside of the first ep. of TWD and a couple of other major beats, the show's story is quite different.

Geno said...

I've had people tell me that. I remember hearing of the comic but it was before I became a Z-Head and really read/watched anything zombie related. I think I will pick up the comics just because I've enjoyed the TV Show. My fear is since I've enjoyed the TV Show the comic won't hold up like when you read the book first. But man that last five minutes was AWESOME!

Rick said...

When you get to issue 48, you'll look back on your hesitance and laugh. There are much worse things than zombies out there.