2018/01/29

Take Notes Hollywood

This past week I've re-watched the entire Critters movie franchise.  No I wasn't being punished.


I actually enjoy the flicks.  I believe I have talked about this in the past but it was one of the first horror movies I saw and it gave me nightmares.  To be honest these little furballs still come back to haunt my nightmares occasionally!

However I am starting to realize that Hollywood could learn a lot from these movies and the movies of this era.  Let me explain.

Is it possible for Hollywood to make a movie that isn't over two hours?  Seriously is it?  Almost every flick I saw this year was over two hours.  Sometimes just to make it two hours it seemed.  Like they added crap just to make sure "we got our money worths".  Even if it ruins the flow of the movie or adds shit that means little to nothing to the story.  Watching these four flicks reminded me of a time that they did not just bloat the film with crap.  They tell a basic back story and then get to the main story.  No wasted fluff!

This also reminded me of a time when movies were NOT all green screen and CGI.  While goofy at times it is nice to see all practical effects.  My fear when the new critters series comes out...oh yeah there is a TV series coming out...another reason I watched these flicks....when the series comes out I'm hoping the series uses more practical effects then CGI.  

What these flicks do well is pacing and storytelling.  Acting not so much but storytelling is very well done.  

Take the third movie for example.  1.  Family shows up at rest area and meets Charlie and Critters.  2.  Family goes home to find slumlord is pushing people.  3.  Critters attack.  4.  Slumlord is someone from rest area.  5.  Critters and humans fight.  6.  End.  Nothing overly complicated just straight forward story telling.  They didn't add in a bunch of shit.

Take Shape of Water for example.  A movie I really enjoyed but had a lot of fluff.  The entire pie store storyline was really just fluff.  It had no real impact on the story.  It was probably 10 minutes of unneeded information about the character.  I'm all for character development if it means something but this did not...much like half of my blogs when they're not reviews of something!

Yes I tend to ramble and I realize movies often do as well but there are times you have to ask did that add ANYTHING to the flick.  I also realize that there are times where I am off on my thinking when it comes to these things.  I just believe that Hollywood is in dire need of editors that realize sometimes less is more and we don't need certain things.








No comments: