2018/01/06

Movie Review: Insidious: The Last Key (or hopefully the last movie)


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you found this entry.  Today, 01/06/18, I checked out the lastest in the Insidious flicks, the Last Key.  It currently has a rating of 6.1 with 1978 votes.  It stars Lin Shaye, Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson.  Parapsychologist Dr. Elise Rainier faces her most fearsome and personal haunting yet - in her own family home."



The Good:

First off let me sayin that I am glad that this is seemingly the end of the series.  This takes place prior to the first story, you know timey wimey.


The acting from MOST of the actors (more on this later) is good to above average.  The team of Specs and Tucker are, like the other flicks, fantastic in their roles.  The addition of the younger Rainiers is also well done.  Another thing that these films usually do well is the bad guys.  Key Guy, as I am calling him, is a pretty cool design.  You also have to respect that this is a 4 film franchise lead by a 70 year old woman! (My better half pointed this out to me)


The Bad:

Now this is going to sound weird after what I just said but remember when I said most of the acting was good or better?  Well the lead, Lin Shaye, just isn't great.  She is okay but like the other films there were scenes were she just seemed out of it, and not the way the movie character should.  While the running time, 103 minutes per IMDB, is good I would have shaved off a few minute more minutes and tried to fit into the 90 minutes.  Several scenes while Elise is in the void was just too long.  Also the scene early on with the "lights" didn't make sense to me. Maybe it was a call back to something but it was 5 minutes to cut.

The Ugly:

The ending/last fight was just bad.  It just ended basically.  It is one of those scenes that left me scratching my head.  I felt that it was an afterthought and they just felt it was not important.  Also I felt that several times they went to the bad horror movies plan of playing EXTREMELY loud music when they did a jump scare.  You jump because your ears started bleeding not because of the scary moment.


Overall I think that the others who have rated this have it right with the flick falling in about 6/10.  Slightly below the others and on par with the third one I think.  Some, like my wife like the old buy guy better.


But I will always just see this.  


Until next time watch out for demons and the mist!  

No comments: