2016/01/23

The Martian: A Review

Hello again everyone!  I know its been a few weeks but I'm back and this time with Golden Globe winning Comedy or Musical The Martian.  It stars Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig and of course Michael Peña!  As of 01/23 it has a 8.1/10 over in IMDB.

  • Several minutes in and this flick is hilarious!  The opening song and dance number was maybe the best thing I've ever see on film
  • Oh my god that guy got hit with a satellite!  Funny as shit!
  • Why did they go outside again?
  • Michael Peña is amazing in everything he does
  • Is "Oxygen level is critical" song has an amazing beat
  • He is really good at typing with one hand....
  • Well that is disgusting!
  • Thus far the flick is moving a good pace for it basically being Matt on the screen alone
  • Happy Days?  Really?
  • First joke is him talking to Christ about cutting up his cross.  Not seeing this as a comedy or musical thus far....okay him smoking is funny
  • Well that didn't take much, who knew it'd be so easy to grow stuff in Martian dirt
  • Okay now I see why they classified it as a comedy.  It isn't a funny comedy they just have comic relief in it
  • Brought to you by CISCO!  Branding is awesome
  • Shit...that is Sean Bean.  How is he going to die in this flick?
  • For a plant guy he sure is a hell of an engineer
  • That potatoes should've burned the fuck out of his mouth!
  • Good thing there are no other storms on Mars I guess
  • Well that is just a barrel of laughs!  How do you like those potatoes?
  • Shouldn't there be internal shutters for incase of just this type of situation?
  • Troy?  Shouldn't Abed being doing these calculations?
  • I wonder if potatoes and Vicodin is any good?
  • Well that is a real dick punch!
  • Why not turn the shuttle around?
  • Yeah, this flick is starting to drag a bit.  Feels like its been a full two hours and only an hourish in
  • Really?  You can do it Sue Storm?
  • Basically all you need to survive on Mars is plastic tarps, duct tape and human shit.  Good to know
  • Oh good grief Damon butt!
  • That is the best beard he can grow in 7 months?
  • That beard is really white trashy Matt!
  • Blonde Beard?  COME ON MATT!
  • Oh I forgot you need a lot of straps and bungees to survive
  • Yeah become less white trashy sunshine
  • If I was writing this I'd have the MAV blow up as a big FU to the fans
  • This is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life!
  • Yeah lets Iron Man this shit!
  • Should have ended with the hugs in the ship
Okay this was an okay flick.  I guess I'll give it a 7 out 10.  I know that is my average score but I look as an average flick score.  

It wasn't anything special from a movie stand point.  We sort of saw it with Cast Away only this time it was in space.  The effects were cool but nothing we haven't seen before in Armageddon, Deep Impact, Gravity etc.  

The one bright point was the acting from pretty much everyone in the flick.  I've always been indifferent to Damon but he did an excellent performance with this flick, especially when you figure he was doing it all with a gopro.

There are some glaring plot holes that I assume were covered in the novel but I am not going to dwell on those, it is a movie and you can't cover everything an in real life we often have plot holes of our own.  

I am still not sure why this was listed as a comedy or musical at the Golden Globes other then to give it an award and let Leo get his.  

The biggest complaint I have from the flick is the length.  nearly 2.5 hours is too long!  I'm really getting tired of these 2+ hour movies.  120 minutes should be the most for most flicks.  This really drug in the middle as one thing after another failed.  The last 30 minutes was just too much for me. Reminded me of Saving Private Ryan and I was hoping they'd just say fuck it this is too much for one guy.  

Okay enough rambling folks.  Check this flick out, I give it my stamp of approval!  Until next time, Abyssinia!

No comments: