2013/03/13

Rise of the Zombies movie review

I picked up Rises of the Zombies at Walmart for 5 bucks and here are my thoughts as I watched it.  (It might contain spoilers) [Also I would link to Amazon but it Out of Stock because it is either that good or even they have given up on it]

  • A lot of action to start the film and a cool effect to show people turning from human to zombie.  IMDB says its a TV movie but about 10 minutes in and I am impressed thus far
  • Some of the acting is pretty bad, LaVer thus far has actually been the worst
  • While the zombie makeup isn't the best I am still impressed after some of the other TV zombie movies that SyFy have put out
  • It is interesting that they have take a few things from the Romero films and expanded on them, still not down on the flick yet but not overly impressed either
  • Mariel Hemingway is not impressive thus far either
  • The characters seem to be very one dimensional and the typical for a zombie flick.  The doctor who wants to find a cure.  The army/hard ass guy.  The military guy who just wants people to survive.  The old person.  Things like that
  • The writing is bad, bad like the book I'm writing.
  • Danny Trejo is bad.  I don't blame him it is the script and the poor
  • Why does every zombie flick have the person who believes the zombies can be cured
  • It is interesting that the zombies seem to be dormant till they sense pray, much like the Walking Dead
  • Wow a one arm zombie just took out half the group.  They should be ashamed 
  • A chainsaw, interesting, a zombie video game staple but not in movies as much
  • Okay zombies that can climb the Golden Gate Bridge?  That is goofy even for zombie movie standards
  • I haven't shot a shotgun but the way Hemingway carries and shots it is horrible.  The director should be ashamed of themselves
  • Ethan Suplee is the best part of the flick so far.  His soft military guy is believable.  I've always liked him
  • There are a lot of things in this flick that are like the Walking Dead, I assume it is because they are standard zombie ideas....YES!  ZOMBIE BABY!!
  • Possibly zombie monkeys next!
  • Interesting usage of God vs. Science
  • There is now a dog in the group!  I like dogs
  • Now there is a preggo chick?  Gotta get all the cliches in there
  • Strange the evacuation zone is not safe, that is a shocker
  • Good grief!  This scene is uncalled for!  Way over the top and I don't think anyone could do it honestly.  Wow that was gross
  • How do zombies always just show up with no warning?  How do they not hear them coming?
  • Still not disappointed with this film.  It isn't Romero or Snyder but for TV I am impressed actually
  • Disappointed with a zombies some, just the way they behave in the background
  • Interesting the one girl gives up.  The first time in the flick that I've been disappointed with the CGI.  I haven't seen Heather Hemmens in anything but I'm impressed with her
  • In a matter of two minutes the two worst effects
  • Really sneaky zombies in this flick
  • Nice use of water and electricity.  It is like Bioshock and an interesting way to kill or at least neutralize the zombies
  • Yes a crazy scientist.  All of the stereotypes are represented now!
  • They just Hershel'ed Suplee's arm! 

That wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting!  A few of the effects were poor but it was a TV movie.  The acting and script wasn't great but again it wasn't the Walking Dead or Romero.  For 5 bucks I don't feel ripped off at all and I am actually glad I picked it up.  Suplee and Hemmens were both good in their roles I thought.  A basic plot and very by the book character and script wise but I enjoyed it.  I'd say average, a 2.75 out of 5.  

I don't know if anyone reads these but if you do let me know what you think of this "live" type recap of my thoughts.  Do you like it better than the old recap?  

No comments: