2011/11/21

Dead of Night book review


Last night I finally finished the new Jonathan Maberry book "Dead of Night". I say finally because it took me way to long to finish this book. It was, like everything I've read of his, extremely well done.

The book is about a zombie type outbreak. I say zombie like because it is closer to the movie "28 Days Later" in the creatures. The story takes place in a small town in Pennsylvania. Much like Maberry's other books I can't give much of a plot outline because EVERYTHING is important and I don't want to ruin anything. Basically a zombie virus is released after an execution.

The book is slow at parts but in a good way. He builds the tension up very well and the characters, well most of them, are well defined. I say most because I would have liked to know more about the JT character personally. Not that he wasn't well developed I just wanted to know more about his background having so much about the other characters.

This had a Stephen King feel to it the way it ebbs and flows. Much like King he made me care about the characters and feel what the character feels. The tension, the anger, the frustration and the fear the characters feel are intense. The pat where Dez jumps out of her trailer played out so well and vivid.

I wanted more from this story in a good way. I didn't want it to end. The brief story ideas that come from the gym scene makes me want stories from this universe.

All in all another great book by Jonathan. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he has become one of my favorite authors. I look forward to his next Ledger novel, which is not soon enough for me, and need to go read his older stuff.

Another great book from Maberry. It can be picked up at your local bookstore, at BN.com or amazon.com

Pick it up, enjoy it and pass it on!

No comments: