2011/03/13

Review of Battle: Los Angeles

Today I did something I hadn't done since July. No it wasn't take a shower, I do that once a month if I need it or not. I went to see a movie. We were talking about it last night while gaming and I realized that it had been that long AND that I could afford it once a week or so. Also I am quite stressed and a movie relaxes. I went to movies.yahoo.com and found out what was playing at my local Cinemark theatres. Most of it looked like NOTHING I would enjoy. Then I saw it. Battle: Los Angeles

I had heard of this movie but without TV now I don't see previews and I was out of the loop. It stars Aaron Eckhart, Bridget Moynahan, Cory Hardrict and Michelle Rodriguez atleast those are the people you would know. Bridget, while I enjoy her wasn't a star really.

Anyway I really enjoyed this film. It was everything that District 9 wasn't and I mean that in a good way. District 9 was trying to make a politically point and wasn't close to what I expected. I really like the movie and own the DVD but it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted explosions, shooting, people screaming and stuff like that. That is what you get from Battle: Los Angeles.

The plot is basic, meteors are crashing off the coast of most major cities and then BAM alien! Aaron Eckhart plays a SSgt. Michael Nantz who is putting in his retirement papers when he finishes his current training mission. Very cliche I know but there is more I could say but I don't want to ruin anything. He replaces another soldier who is off on leave and he is trust into action. From there you get explosions, aliens, more explosions, shooting, yet more explosions, Michael Pena of Shield Fame, an actual emotional scene and yes more explosions.

As I said earlier this is what I wanted when I went to District 9 originally. Was this "The Kings Speech"? I don't know as that doesn't look entertaining to me but I doubt it. This was dumb excitement and I loved it. It was slightly long and could have been cut down a little. I applaud them to try and make us care about the characters at the start but that isn't what you want from movies like this typically. They tried but they tried to be too much at times. I just wanted to see stuff blow up and they gave me that.

Overall I would give it 3.75 out of 5. Was it a movie I would see again? Probably not. Depending on DVD extras I could possibly get the DVD. The acting was well done and Aaron gave a great speech at on point. He really does good in movies that shouldn't be any good, The Core, Thank You for Smoking, and lets be honest no one expected anything from that Dark Knight POS (sarcasm on the last one, please don't send death threats!).

If you want just a stupid action flick this is a great option. It isn't preachy like almost everything else anymore. It was just dumb entertainment and I dug it. I am doing six days next week at work and I might not get a chance to go see a flick next week. Paul is my next flick I think as it comes out this week.

1 comment:

Angela Sandberg said...

Coolness. I will have to check this out. Looks good, and Echkart makes a cool action hero.